Summer journal prompts can take many forms, from prompts that encourage reflection on personal experiences and goals to prompts that inspire creative writing and exploration. I hope you’re ready, because this collection of 39 summer journal prompts for adults has all of that!
For those who love to write, this is the perfect time to explore summer journaling ideas and delve deeper into all. the. summer. things.
And if you need even more journaling inspiration, be sure to check out my entire collection of journal writing prompts.
This post may contain affiliate links. If you choose to purchase through an affiliate link, I may receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. You can see my full disclaimer here.
Ahhhh… summer… the season of warmth, relaxation, and exploration. It’s a word that conjures up images of lazy days spent lounging at the beach, enjoying the great outdoors, and indulging in all the flavors that summer has to offer.
Or, if you’re a little more indoorsy — like me — then at least we can enjoy the way summer LOOKS while we sip cold and refreshing drinks from our cute indoorsy tumbler in front of the air conditioner. 😉
Why Summer Journaling Is Important
Summer is the perfect time to start journaling or to continue your journaling practice. There are several reasons why summer journaling is important:
- Reflection: Summer is a time for relaxation and reflection. Journaling allows you to reflect on your experiences and thoughts during this time.
- Creativity: Summer is a time to explore your creativity. Journaling can help you tap into your creative side and express yourself through writing or drawing.
- Managing thoughts: Summer can be a stressful time for some people. Journaling can help you manage overthinking and/or stress by providing a safe space to express your emotions and thoughts.
With the arrival of summer, there are countless opportunities to use journaling as a way to connect with yourself and the world around you. Whether it’s exploring new outdoor spaces, trying new foods, or simply taking time to reflect on the joys of the season, summer journal prompts can help us tap into our creativity, gain clarity, and deepen our understanding of ourselves and the world.
Summer journaling can also help you set goals, track your progress, and make plans for the future. Overall, summer journaling is a valuable practice that can help you grow and develop as a person.
Use the following prompts as a springboard for your summer journaling. Enjoy!
Prompts For Reflecting On Previous Summers
By writing down our experiences and thoughts, we can step back and gain insight into how we have grown over the years.
- What is one summer memory that still makes you cringe or laugh out loud?
- Write about a summer memory that brings you joy or makes you feel nostalgic.
- Think about a summer vacation you took as a child. What do you remember most vividly about it?
- Make a list of the funniest moments from your past summer adventures. Which is your favorite?
- Write about the most ridiculous thing you’ve ever done to beat the summer heat. Did it work?
- Write about a summer tradition that you look forward to every year.
- Describe a summer storm you experienced. How did it make you feel?
- Think of a time when you were truly content during the summer. What were the circumstances that led to this feeling, and how can you replicate it in the future?
Prompts For Setting Goals For The Summer
Summer is a great time to set goals for yourself. Here are some list-making prompts to get you started:
- What do you want to accomplish this summer?
- What skills do you want to learn or improve?
- What new habits do you want to develop?
- What experiences do you want to have?
Answering these questions will get you started on thinking about goals for the summer. For more ideas, read my post on productive things to do over the summer.
Exploring New Summer Experiences
While we may default to trying to recreate past summers, the season really is a great time to try new things and experiences. Here are some journal prompts to help you expand your horizons:
- Reflect on a time when you stepped outside of your comfort zone and tried something new. What did you learn from the experience, and how did it make you feel?
- Think about a place you’ve never been before. It could be a new city, a different country, or just a local attraction you’ve never visited. Why do you want to go there, and how can you make it happen?
- Try a new food or cuisine. Write about your experience, including the taste, texture, and any emotions or memories it evokes.
- Think about a creative project that you’ve always wanted to undertake but haven’t yet. What’s holding you back, and what steps can you take this summer to get started?
- Create a bucket list of the most unusual summer travel experiences you can think of. Which ones will you be brave enough to try and how can you do that?
- What new outdoor activity will you or did you try this summer?
New experiences can be scary, but they can also be incredibly rewarding. Use these prompts as a starting point to try something new this summer.
Prompts For Practicing Gratitude During The Summer
Gratitude is a powerful feeling that can help improve our mental health and overall well-being. By focusing on the things we’re thankful for, we can shift our perspective and find more joy in our lives. Here are some journal prompts to help you practice gratitude this summer:
- Make a list of ten things that you’re grateful for during the summer season. How can you express your gratitude for these things in a meaningful way?
- Write a letter to someone you’re grateful for and explain why they are important to you.
- Think about a challenge you are currently facing and write down three things you are grateful for despite the challenge.
- Write about a place in nature that you find particularly peaceful or inspiring during the summer.
- Write about your favorite summer treat. Is it a specific flavor of ice cream, a type of fruit, or something else entirely? Why do you love it so much?
- Take a walk outside and write about the things in nature you are grateful for.
Summer-Inspired Creative Prompts
Creativity is the perfect way to add another dimension to summer journaling! By using creative journal prompts, you can explore new ways to express yourself. Try these prompts and see what you think:
- Create a short story about a summer romance that takes place in a completely unexpected location.
- Write a poem about the colors of a summer sunset. Try to use as many descriptive words as possible to capture the essence of the moment.
- Create a piece of artwork inspired by the natural beauty of summer. Use any medium you like, and let your imagination run wild!
- Write a story about a summer adventure that involves time travel to a different era.
- If you could invent a brand new summer sport, what would it be and how would it be played? Write out the rules and describe the equipment needed.
- Create a fictional country and describe its unique summer traditions and celebrations.
Prompts For Reflecting On This Summer
And just like that, it feels like summer is ending. Before the sun sets on that final summer day, be sure to write your responses to these prompts:
- What books did you read this summer that impacted you in a significant way? Write about that impact.
- Write about a mistake you made this summer. What did you learn from it?
- Did you attend any concerts or shows this summer? Write about your favorite performance.
- What was the most relaxing thing you did this summer?
- What is the most valuable lesson you learned during this summer season?
- Write about a moment during the summer that challenged your beliefs or values. How did you handle this situation, and did it change your perspective in any way?
- Write about a time this summer when you learned something new about yourself.
- What was the most spontaneous thing you did this summer? Did it turn out the way you expected?
- It’s the last day of summer… What will you miss the most about the season, and what will you look forward to in the fall?
How To Make Journaling Part Of Your Summer Routine
Making summer journaling part of your daily routine can be a great way to stay positive and creative during the hot summer months. Here are 5 ideas for adding summer journaling to your day:
- Select a journal: Choose a journal that appeals to you aesthetically and feels comfortable in your hands (I have this refillable leather journal). This will help you actually WANT to use your journal. Here are my picks for the best journals for writing.
- Choose any prompts you like: There are no ‘wrong’ journal prompts! Consider these prompts related to the summer season since you’re already reading this, but you can also select prompts related to confidence or personal reflection.
- Set aside time: Commit to about 5-20 minutes each day for journaling as part of your morning or evening routine.
- Let go of judgement: Journaling is 100% personal! It allows us to write without judgement or guilt, so don’t hesitate or feel embarrassed if you make mistakes with spelling or write about thoughts that you can’t imagine saying out loud. Write from your heart with honesty and openness.
And don’t let a blank page scare you! Once you’ve chosen your prompt as a starting point, just write… even if your words don’t seem perfectly on-topic when you begin. You’ll find your way.
Related: How To Write A Daily Journal Even If You’re A Total Beginner
- Make it fun: Incorporate fun elements like colored pens, stickers, photos, or summer journal ephemera into your pages for a playful approach that builds motivation and sparks creativity.
On the other hand, if this is your first time journaling, you might just want to keep things super-simple with a composition-style notebook and any old pen you find. There’s nothing wrong with that either!
More Summer Inspiration
As you get deeper into journaling this summer, I hope you’ll find that it’s a wonderful way to reflect on life, document memories, and build writing skills. It can be done in any format, and it’s easy to do even with a busy schedule.
So grab a notebook, find a quiet spot, and start writing your responses to these summer journal prompts. You never know what insights you might discover, what memories you might uncover, or what adventures you might embark on.
Don’t forget to grab your free printable summer journal prompts! Fill out the form below to have them sent right to your inbox…
Did you enjoy this post? Know someone else who might like it? Please take a moment to share on Pinterest, Facebook, or your favorite social media… (Click the sharing buttons at the bottom of the post.) Thank you!