A couple of weeks ago I heard someone use the word positivity and thought it was a silly, made-up word.
Then I saw it in a couple of places online.
Then I heard it used in two very different television shows.
I started to kind of like the word and think, “What a fantastic way to express the complete opposite of negativity!”
Turns out, positivity is a real word. I looked it up at dictionary.com.
[poz-i-tiv-i-tee] noun, plural positivities.
- the state or character of being positive: a positivity that accepts the world as it is.
- something positive.
There’s even a blog about it. positivityblog
So I’ve decided to take what originally sounded to me like a made-up word and use it for my personal buzzword in 2016. In that vein, my goals will focus only on the positive.
- Play more games with my husband and 14-year-old son. Pagat.com has a nice list of card games: Card Games for Three Players.
- Relax my attitude. Sometimes I can become so focused on the little things, I lose sight of the fact that this year will seem to pass even more quickly than the year before. I need to spend the time appreciating the people I’m with instead of getting irked about some of the little things they do differently than I would. Here is a great infographic of mental relaxation techniques I’m going to try using: 10 Tips to Keep Calm and Reduce Stress.
- Redecorate the master bedroom – on the cheap of course! One of these days I’ll do a post with before photos and decorating ideas, but for now, it’s enough to know it’s on my “Must-Do” list.
- Create a walkway between the house and the driveway. Remember me mentioning that we’ve been in this house for seventeen years? Yeah, well… we’ve never had a decent walkway to get to and from the vehicles, and it’s one of those things that really bugs me.
- Make a real go of creating online income. Scouring Pinterest and work-at-home blogs has helped me come up with a list of ideas. The most promising are writing sites since that’s one of the things I really love to do. Textbroker and Upwork look like good places to begin for someone like me – I haven’t written consistently in a very, very long time. I’m also looking at becoming a virtual assistant and eventually a proofreader.
- Cut our spending. We’re already fairly frugal, but I know we can do better. We’ve done it before, but have gotten a bit lazy about several things.
- Pay off the home equity loan, fund our Roth IRA’s, and help out with a few college expenses for our older son. More incentive for me to work hard writing, reading, blogging, etc.
- Stop procrastinating and just get moving on doing things! I’ve always suffered from “analysis paralysis.” Researching and figuring out various ways to do things is second nature to me, but pressing the “GO” button rarely seems to happen. It’s time to get myself in gear and try some new things!
More Inspiration For Positivity And Intentional Living
Whether you use the term “goals” or “resolutions,” it’s really all the same thing. We want to make our lives better. So let’s do it! Do you have a buzzword or focus word for 2016? What are some of your goals? If you have a blog post about it, please leave a link in the comments!